Thursday, September 10, 2009

Waking Up in Lincoln

Is not the same as Waking Up in Vegas. It's a lot quieter actually. So quiet that I can hear the people above me flush the toilet. and take a shower. and do their laundry. and try to calm their crying baby. all at 6:00 a.m. Actually now that I think of it - it's not quiet at all.

My new place in Lincoln is actually fantastic. I'm so happy here (even though i feel like i'm miles from providence) (it's only 10 minutes) and feel such a sense of accomplishment. Yet, it has made me slightly neurotic. I am constantly cleaning up after myself, picking things off of the carpet, trying to get rid of every strand of hair my head sheds. I've reached an all new level of analness. Onto better things...

Let me introduce my neighbors!

For sake of privacy I'll use letters instead of their actual unit #'s. I don't need you telling them I'm already talking smack about them.

Unit A - Girl around my age that lives with her boyfriend. I already forget her name. She pretty much lives in the basement. It can't be too much fun down there. She had a friend visit her over the weekend who turned out to be the girl who used to wax my eyebrows. Such a small world in good ol' Lincoln.

Unit B - Sweet girl who seems around my age. She has a cat. Which the entire hallway smells like. Her first impression of me was me apologizing for the idiotic Cardis Furniture movers who broke her patio umbrella while trying to hoist my huge couch through the back patio doors.

Unit C - Banjo player and his wife. They have a banjo playing son who came to visit last weekend. They held a banjo jam session while i was tanning at the pool. enough said.

Unit D - A Fabulous, Independent, Witty and Stylish Single Woman....me!

Unit E - HOT GUY! (and his girlfriend). I got super excited when I saw him coming home one night. I thought....could this be true? No...it has to be the boyfriend of one of the girls I already met. Then I see him check a mailbox. No sir! He lives here!! We meet on the stairs and exchange cordial conversation. I'm super excited and anxiously await my next interaction. Over the weekend the power kept going out and I got nervous because during the home inspection there was concern that there weren't enough amps to power the whole building. So I think this is a perfect opportunity to knock on hot guy's door. As I approach I get a sinking feeling in my stomach. A paisly doormat. One of the most fashionable floor mats I've ever seen. Which had to be purchased by his...girllllfriend. So of course when he answers and we determine this is a fluke thing he then tells me "WE are going to go food shopping while we wait for the power to go back on." We as in girlfriend. As in the girl who bought the paisley doormat.

and last but not least Unit F - The Family. A younger couple with a five year old little boy named Robert and honestly the fattest baby I've ever seen. I don't even know how it came out of the mom's petite little body. I can't actually say her name because I don't know it. Robert is the only one out of the four who had the decency to introduce thimself. Obviously Buddha Baby can't talk so that leaves the ownus on weird parents. They struggle getting out the door in the morning. I know cause I can hear them running around, turning faucets on and off, trying to get in 5 loads of laundry before the 7:00 am news and Robert occasionally getting yelled at. I might yell at Robert because I'm still waiting for him to bake me some welcome cookies. Isn't that what kids do?

So that's it. The whole kit and kaboodle. I think this place is going to be good for me - it's a whole new chapter in the Sarah Storybook.

Now excuse me...I have to go vacuum all the glitter I shook off my clothes after Waking Up in Vegas. I mean Lincoln... :)

No comments: